Invalid pointer in XMMS

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Aug 4 18:25:39 PDT 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Giulio Daprelà wrote:

> I finally do a backtrace (thank you Ken!), and this are the last lines:
>
> #28 0x080508db in ?? ()
> #29 0xb8000ff4 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> #30 0xb80016b4 in ?? ()
> #31 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> #32 0xbffff688 in ?? ()
> #33 0xb7ff2fc3 in _dl_lookup_symbol_x () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
>
> Any idea? It's an XMMS problem or it's only mine?
>
> Searching for the error in bugzilla in the XMMS site I found a person
> that had the same error in a Fedora Core 3 installation and XMMS
> 1.2.10. I added my case to this bug.

 Well, it looks as if gdb thinks it's lost its lunch, but you are on x86
where gdb should work well.  I take it you haven't got anything else
informative in the trace.  Any funky CFLAGS in the toolchain or XMMS ?
Any other weirdness in the use of the system ?  Did you strip the
symbols from the libraries (which makes debugging from backtraces a lot
harder) ?

 I think you said you'd only recently compiled XMMS - perhaps try
compiling it again with CFLAGS unset (to use the package's -O2 -g), and
installing to e.g. /opt/XMMS then try that version as /opt/XMMS (I'm
thinking maybe something strange happened in the compile).

Ken