grub errors and read-only

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Aug 5 14:07:32 PDT 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Donal Farrell wrote:

 Donal, please trim your quotes to reduce bandwidth.

> I put the following from suse's /boot into FC3's /boot
> LFS vmlinuz, system.map and config
> SuSE vmlinuz, system.map and config
>
> I also changed suse's menu.lst to have root=/dev/hda1
>
> i booted into suse and got VFS kernel panic

 At a guess, it can't mount the root fs (the message before a panic *is*
important to eplain the problem).  Either the filesystem isn't there, or
it needs a module to load it.  Earlier, you showed some grub stuff for
Suse where an initrd was mentioned, so I guess it needs the *correct*
initrd to mount a reiserfs filesystem.

> I changed it back to root=/dev/hda2 and got the follwoing

 That's the fedora ext3, isn't it.

> ext2_fs warning -> device hda2
> ext2_fill_super -> mounting ext3 on ext2
> VFS mounted root (ext2 fs) readonly

 Yes, I bet Suse's kernel needs an initrd to mount ext3 correctly.

> warning unable to open an initial console

 I guess Suse can't create /dev without the initrd.

> kernel panic attempted to kill init

 Might be related to the lack of /dev/ - I know nothing about the detail
of Suse's initrd, so I have no idea if it can produce a usable system
when you mount another distro's '/'.

 To debug, you might also want to try init=/bin/bash (not a very
friendly environment, of course).

Ken