SASL and PAM under Postfix

Mark Olbert mark at arcabama.com
Sat Aug 6 10:08:51 PDT 2005

I am having trouble getting SASL and PAM to play nicely together (I'm using
postfix as my MTA).

When I run cyrus-sasl's saslauthd in debug mode, and then telnet to the smtp
port on my pox, I see the correct authentication mechanisms being offered,
which include plain.

But when I do an AUTH PLAIN with my base64 encoded credentials, pam refuses
to authenticate. The saslauthd debug trace shows that it correctly received
the credentials, but these were rejected by pam.

I'm thinking that I'm missing a pam config file for this setup. There is
reference to such a file in a great howto I found on www.postfix.org
<http://www.postfix.org/>  dealing with sasl and postfix, but the BLFS
installation makes no mention of such a file.

Thanx in advance for any help!

- Mark