xorg-error

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Aug 7 03:17:27 PDT 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, randhir phagura wrote:

> 1. After the command 'Xorg -configure': The screen blanks and returns but with following:
>
> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (once-only module, -1075088376)

 no idea, but perhaps the same reason as 3.

> (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
>
> 2. After 'x -config ~/xorg.conf.new' command:
>
> The screen does turn grey and big 'X' is displayed but on 'Ctrl+Alt+B/S' the xserver hangs
> and does not return to the original term. Instead my screen goes all different colours and
> the system hangs. I am forced to reboot.

 ouch!  I've seen X hang while starting if the network is down (two
ctrl-C fixed that), and similarly no prompt after ctrl-alt-bs when the
network is down (again, ctrl-C), but not a multicoloured display.  I
suppose it might be related to item 3.

> 3. After the command 'startx' I get the following:
>
> root at homelfs6:~# startx
>
> xauth: error while loading shared libraries: libXmuu.so.1: cannot open

 libXmuu is a standard X library - google suggests people get these sort
of problems is they don't run ldconfig (or more likely, if
/usr/X11R6/lib wasn't in /etc/ld.conf when they ran ldconfig).

> How should these errors be tackled?
>
>   I have earlier installed xorg and XFree86 on these computes with only minor problems. but
> these were working.

 If it was my system, I'd copy the working xorg.conf from the previous
install - going throught what X generates and fixing it up the way you
want it is certainly educational, but tedious.  That's not to say that
further editing to get *better* is a bad idea, but starting with an
adequately working version is always easier.

Ken