grub errors and read-only

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Aug 7 11:25:14 PDT 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Donal Farrell wrote:

> suse gets its initrd from FC4's /boot on /dev/hda2, but the kernel
> itself would still be on /dev/hda1 in THAT /boot, or is this plain
> dumb? I am sure that the kernel I'm using is the original suse kernel
> with the nvidia module compiled as I have not recompiled that kernel.

 The whereabouts of the kernel is surely /dev/hda2 along with the initrd
(you said you copied all of Suse's /boot), which affects the hd(x,y)
specification (you've got that working, so don't alter it).  The root
filesystem ('/') should be hda1 for that boot.  The kernel is loaded by
grub, which passes control to it.  After that, the kernel remains
resident in memory.

 As to removing the nvidia module, probably rm /path/to/modulename.
Assuming, of course, that you aren't using the nvidia module in your
xorg.conf.

HTH

Ken