Same Package, Different Package???

Harris Christian D SSgt 1 CS/SCBAM Christian.Harris at langley.af.mil
Mon Aug 8 09:35:10 PDT 2005

I'm really about to show my noob factor now! Going through the (B)LFS

 have run across several packages the seem to do the same thing with

different names (ie. Libungif-4.1.3, Giflib-4.1.3). Or the same name
with

different versions (ie. GLib-1.2.10, GLib-2.6.4 or GCC-3.4.3,
GCC-3.3.4).

Then there are programs that don't really have a clear cut difference
but

are maintained separately (ie. Libxml-1.8.17, Libxml2-2.6.20 or FreeType

and FreeType2).

I'm asking because I am trying to satisfy the dependencies of several

packages that I want on my system. More then often I have already

installed one version and find out later I need (according to the book)

different version for another package.

Case and point: Imlib-1.9.15 needs GTK+-1.2.10 and Librsvg-2.9.5

needs GTK+-2.6.7.

And outside the book, I trying to run Enlightenment as my window

manager. It required Freetype, but I have already installed Freetype2

installed from the book. So onto my question(s).

Can I install libxml and libxml2 side by side?

Can I install FreeType and FreeType2 side by side?

Am I correct in assuming that I should just install the higher versions

of Glib and GCC?

And lastly am I correct in assuming the only difference between Libungif

and Giflib is the licensing models and the production of uncompressed

gifs vs. compressed gifs? If so, the I don't really care about that, and

just went with Giflib due to the fact that this is my personal system.