Same Package, Different Package???

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Mon Aug 8 12:41:37 PDT 2005

> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Harris Christian D SSgt 1 CS/SCBAM wrote:
>
> > I'm really about to show my noob factor now! Going through the
> > (B)LFS have run across several packages the seem to do the same
> > thing with different names (ie. Libungif-4.1.3, Giflib-4.1.3). Or
> > the same name with different versions (ie. GLib-1.2.10, GLib-2.6.4
> > or GCC-3.4.3, GCC-3.3.4).  Then there are programs that don't really
> > have a clear cut difference but are maintained separately (ie.
> > Libxml-1.8.17, Libxml2-2.6.20 or FreeType and FreeType2).

As many have mentioned, librarys of different versions peacefully
coexist. Try that in windows - not the bluescreens if you put the wrong
version of mscvrt.dll in the win\sysyem directory!

GCC is the compiler and this is a little different. Following the Book's
install methods, those will peacefully coexist. What isn't written is
that today's gcc compiles tomorrow's software, and unfortunately that
isn't written yet. Over the last few releases, the stricter coding on
newer versions breaks some programs where the guy still uses older
versions. That's a pain because things won't compile. So stay with what
works.

There is a phrase describing guys downloading and working with the
latest versions as 'being on the bleeding edge'

As one neonewbie to another self confessed noob, if you stay on the
bleeding edge (Think sliding down a razor blade :) _You_bleed_. Fine if
you know C and enjoy only that. Leave that to the 'heads' and stick with
safe versions. The LFS version of gcc is just fine for us lesser
mortals.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.