Can't mount with automount

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 09:41:13 PDT 2005

Dienadel wrote:
> 1- In the init process:
> EXT3 FS on hda5, internal journal
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.   [OK]
> /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S45autofs: line 110: boot_mesg: command not found
> .

Perhaps you're trying to use a new version of BLFS with an old version of the LFS bootscripts?
> .
> .
> Bringing up the loopback interface...
> RTNETLINK answers: File exists        [FAILED]

That looks familiar. Edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/localnet and rearrange the order of lines 22 and 23 so it reads

		ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 label lo dev lo
		ip link set lo up

> 2- In "/var/log/daemon.log:
> Aug 10 16:52:41 IUS2001 automount[3217]: >> mount: Not a directory
> Aug 10 16:52:41 IUS2001 automount[3217]: failed to mount /media/cdrw

I don't know what the problem is. I've never used automount. I used to use the supermount patch but it was a pain to keep it in sync with the kernel. Now what I do is I put these lines in /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1 /mnt/mp3 auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0

In Gnome, when I run Nautilus in browser fashion it has a computer icon on the toolbar. If I click on it it shows me floppy, CD-ROM and mp3. If I click on them it mounts it and then shows the contents. To unmount it I right click and choose Unmount Volume before removing it. This works with a vanilla kernel and no automount daemon running. HTH