No mailto in Firefox-1.0.6--No links in Thunderbird

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Aug 15 04:07:34 PDT 2005

Currently I can neither use the mailto function in Firefox-1.0.6 nor can
I get Thunderbird-1.0.6 to open URL's in Firefox.  As I recall I have
not been able to do this since I built LFS and BLFS.  I'm using LFS 6.0
and BLFS 6.0.  However, I installed firefox and thunderbird using the
development version of the book a couple of weeks ago.

I have the following user.js for Thunderbird:

// Begin user.js

/* Do not remove the @namespace line--it's required for correct
 * functioning */
/* Set default namespace to XUL */
@namespace
url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* Open hyperlinks in Mozilla Firefox */
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http",
"/usr/bin/firefox");

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https",
"/usr/bin/firefox");

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp",
"/usr/bin/firefox");

// End user.js

And this one for Firefox:

/* Do not remove the @namespace line--it's required for correct
 * functioning */
/* Set default namespace to XUL */
@namespace
url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* Mailto: links in Firefox, launch Thunderbird */
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
"/usr/bin/thunderbird");

 From all I've read at Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird forums and
websites, these should work, but no joy.

I can start these apps from my FluxBox menu or with
'/usr/bin/{firefox,thunderbird} directly from the command line.

In June DJ Lucas provided /usr/bin/{firefox,thunderbird} scripts in this
archive--http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2005-June/055188.html--that
I haven't tried yet.  Both the firefox and thunderbird scripts in
/usr/bin look like they were "mozilla originals."

Until I get a chance to try DJ's script, does anyone know why this
"weird" behavior occurs.  Since I don't have this situation on the
Mandrake side of my box, I'm wondering if it isn't something
specifically about BLFS.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan