OpenSSH server not working - connection closed

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 13:56:17 PDT 2005

> Device Drivers
>  Networking Support
>   Networking Options
>    The IPv6 protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)
> in the kernel's menuconfig.
>
>  The thing is, IPv6 isn't selected in the default x86 config, so it
> looks as if you built it "just in case" (you say an IPv6 connection
> isn't going to happen).

You're right about that.  I haven't tuned the kernel down to just the
bare essentials yet so I can make sure things work.  I'm on about my
third kernel for this system, but there's still quite a bit in there
that's probably never going to be used for my hardware.

In particular about IPv6, is this even used normally?  I actually don't
know much about it, so I thought I would make sure it was included for
functionality.  But now I'm beginning to see that there are only a few
instances where it would work, and I don't think my ethernet card (DLink
550TX) supports it.  Anyway, if anyone has insight about kernel
configuration on this topic, I'd appreciate it.  In the meantime, I'll
recompile without IPv6 and see what happens.

And on the topics of defaults, I think I started from the FC3 config
which seems to add every possible piece of hardware from the last 20
years.  Is it true that entering make defconfig will give the default
configuration?

Thanks,
Dan