undefined reference to `rk_globfree'/`rk_glob'

Harris Christian D SSgt 1 CS/SCBAM Christian.Harris at langley.af.mil
Mon Aug 15 17:07:08 PDT 2005

I got the same "undefined reference to `rk_glob' and `rk_globfree'"

error(s) while trying to compile Libxml2-2.6.20. But I do have

Heimdal-0.70 installed.

After reading around the internet for a while I found one post where

someone was able to fix the same problem (but with a package

other than libxml2) by editing the Makefile and removing the

-I/usr/include/heimdal from the CPFLAGS (or something like that).

But when I looked through my Makefile(s) that variable was empty.

After futher research I found a post in the BLFS Dev mail archive

where someone actually edited /usr/include/glob.h. He wasn't

very specific, but I commented out the lines;

#define  glob rk_glob

#define  globfree rk_globfree

After I did that, Libxml2 complied and passed the make check.

Now I'm not a programmer, so naturally I am wary of installing

the now successfully compiled package. Nor do I want to leave

the 2 line commented out. I mean I have no idea what I have

done! Or why it caused my package to compile correctly.

Is it ok to edit header file like that?

Can I trust the Libxml2 to function correctly?

Did I screw up the Heimdal install? (It doesn't seem like it)

Should I leave the 2 line commented out and save myself future

headaches?