No mailto in Firefox-1.0.6--No links in Thunderbird

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 19:40:01 PDT 2005

> Then do you just point Thunderbird/Firefox to the wrappers by user.js or
> prefs.js:
>
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "path_to_wrapper");

Hmm, I hadn't really thought of that.  I guess at work, GNOME is taking
care of the MIME handling or whatever it's really called.  I don't know
what to tell you.  That sounds like it could be right, though.  You
might want to try posting a message to netscape.public.mozilla.general
newsgroup to find an accurate response for that pref.  By the way, if
you edit users.js by hand, it'll be overwritten I believe.

> I was using something like this in Mandrake, but it doesn't work in
> BLFS.  The first thing I'm going to try is DJ's
> /usr/bin/{thunderbird,firefox} scripts.  If that doesn't work, then I'll
> try your wrappers.

I have a hunch that neither DJ's updated scripts nor the wrappers are
going to help you out unless there is a service that is accepting your
external call to open a URL.  I think either of these options (and the
default firefox script) are set up to open URLs when they are sent them.
  Are you running a desktop like GNOME or KDE?  If you are, then look at
these two links about making firefox and thunderbird the default web and
mail clients:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_mail_client

> One interesting thing that I've discovered is that the /usr/bin scripts
> and the run-mozilla.sh script all say that they set up a bunch of
> environment stuff.  However, when I run 'echo $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME' for
> example, I get no return.

You shouldn't be able to see $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME or any other magic
variables because run-mozilla.sh is running in a subshell.

> by the build from source) talk about ~.thunderbird (firefox
> too)/init.d/* scripts.

To my knowledge, this has not been implemented.  The 1.0x branch uses
the same start up style on *nix that mozilla's been using for a long
time, I think.  I don't think this would affect it either.

Dan