No sound

Jeremy Byron rjjbyron at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 15 21:43:23 PDT 2005

randhir phagura wrote:
><snip>
> The 'aplay' command output:
>
> root at homelfs6:~# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
> Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
>
> root at homelfs6:~# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav' : Signed 16 bit
> Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
> (NO SOUND IS HEARD IN BOTH CASES)
Note the 'mono' in both cases.. compare below.

> root at homelfs6:~# speaker-test
><snip>
> 0 - Front Left
> Time per period = 2.666857
> 0 - Front Left
> Time per period = 2.978476
> 0 - Front Left
> Time per period = 2.978524
Note the 'Front Left' and lack of 'Front Right' - this could be normal,
or indicative of 'mono' playback being all that's available.

><snip>
> 1.Playback View:
> Master:'MO'; 3D Contr:'OO' ; PCM & PCM1:Volume bar shows green ;
> Mic Boos:'OO' ; PC Speak: Bar green ; Hardware:'OO' ; Record: 'OO'
><snip>
> 3.All View: Same as above.
> In 'Master' one channel always stays muted, inspite of repeated
> toggling. This happens in all the views.
One side is muted ('MO').. 'mono' playback..

Also, a bar being green doesn't imply that it should work, only that it
is set to a reasonable (safe) level; there should still be mute options
above the PCM bars and they should be unmuted with 'm' unless this is
different between alsa versions or devices.

If your soundcard is being detected as mono (and it is most certainly
stereo) perhaps you are having a driver issue I likely can't help with;
'm' in my alsamixer unmutes both channels together.  Are you using ','
or '.' to toggle muting of a single channel perhaps?

Finally, when you run alsamixer it should identify your soundcard in the
top as in..
Card: ALI 5451
Chip: Conexant Cx20458 rev 1,Conexant Cx20468 rev 1
..so make sure that it has detected your card properly.  As I recall,
when I enabled the dummy sound driver in the kernel it became the
default device - not very useful - so you may want to check that out.

I just noticed in your kernel config that you do have this enabled;
unless you really need it and know what you're doing, I suggest a kernel
rebuild without the dummy sequencer.

><snip>
> The 'xmms' does not work still. On clicking at the play button it
> promptly displaye the same dialogue: "Please ensure that: Your sound
> card is configured .... etc etc."
 ><snip>

This suggests to me that you are in fact having a driver issue. When you
go to the xmms options and select the ALSA output plugin, click the
'Configure' button and then open up the 'Audio Device' combo box - it
should show your card.  Mine, for example, shows..
Default PCM device (default)
ALI 5451: ALI 5451 (hw:0,0)

Beyond that, unless you have some more relevant output to post, I'm not
sure what to suggest so I hope that's sufficient to get you up and
running.  I do suspect that rebuilding the kernel without the dummy
sequencer will solve your problem though.

Regards,
Jeremy.