OpenSSH server not working - connection closed

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Tue Aug 16 03:13:38 PDT 2005

> >Device Drivers Networking Support Networking Options The IPv6
> >protocol (EXPERIMENTAL) in the kernel's menuconfig.
> >
> > The thing is, IPv6 isn't selected in the default x86 config, so it
> >looks as if you built it "just in case" (you say an IPv6 connection
> >isn't going to happen).
>
> You're right about that.  I haven't tuned the kernel down to just the
> bare essentials yet so I can make sure things work.  I'm on about my
> third kernel for this system, but there's still quite a bit in there
> that's probably never going to be used for my hardware.
>
> In particular about IPv6, is this even used normally?  I actually
> don't know much about it, so I thought I would make sure it was
> included for functionality.  But now I'm beginning to see that there
> are only a few instances where it would work, and I don't think my
> ethernet card (DLink 550TX) supports it.  Anyway, if anyone has
> insight about kernel configuration on this topic, I'd appreciate it.
> In the meantime, I'll recompile without IPv6 and see what happens.

>From what I see, IPV6 does not work and is not going to work until the
bods change the standards.

Any IPV6 impleme3ntation has to be IPV4 backwards compatible. So if you
delete it, you can't write code for IPV6, but nothing else goes wrong.
You do get 2 lines or errors every time you boot xorg, but hell, I can
live with that.

Someday they'll actually _need_ IPV6. Some day windows might turn the
rest of the world tetotally to unicode fonts. Either event would cause
upheaval in the linux community.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.