No mailto in Firefox-1.0.6--No links in Thunderbird

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Tue Aug 16 03:30:43 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>>user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "path_to_wrapper");
>>

>This should work good for Firefox.

Thanks, Randy.

Using DJ's /usr/bin/{thunderbird,firefox}, I can open URL's from
Thunderbird into a new tab in firefox.  However, I haven't succeeded in
getting 'mailto' to work yet.  This is my user.js for Firefox:

// Stop reusing active windows:
//user_pref("advanced.system.suportDDEExec ", false);

/* Do not remove the @namespace line--it's required for correct
 * functioning */
/* Set default namespace to XUL */
@namespace
url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* Mailto: links in Firefox, launch Thunderbird */
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
"/usr/bin/thunderbird");

I don't know where the DDEExec stuff came from.  I ran 'touch user.js'
and it was there when I opened the file in VIM.  I've commented it out
just because I don't know what it is.  The rest I copied and pasted from
a reply on the firefox forum.

Here's the related stuff from my firefox set up from 'about:config':

network.protocol-handler.expose-all is set to true
network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto is set to false
network.protocol-handler.external.mailto is set to true

(these are just informational and, of course, do not reflect the proper
formatting neither in prefs.js nor in about:config)

Does my setup look right?  I've looked at DJ's thunderbird script and
can't find anything obvious.  (I didn't use my "Bash Reference Guide" to
study the script, however.  I need it to translate all the tests.  Don't
have 'em locked in the grey matter yet.  :) )

Thanks,

Dan