No mailto in Firefox-1.0.6--No links in Thunderbird

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Tue Aug 16 16:22:30 PDT 2005

Dan McGhee wrote:

> Using DJ's /usr/bin/{thunderbird,firefox}, I can open URL's from
> Thunderbird into a new tab in firefox.  However, I haven't succeeded
> in getting 'mailto' to work yet.

What I finally did was add a new user_pref to prefs.js using 'about:config'.

What's interesting is that the line I had in my user.js file was:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "/usr/bin/thunderbird");

and it's exactly the same in prefs.js after I did the about:config thing.

To test it, I reset the preference in about:config, removed my user.js,
recreated it and typed in the user_pref just as it appears above.  Then
I started firefox and tried a mailto link--no joy.  So, I once again
created a preference using about:config and mailto worked.

I don't know why this happened since the lines in both files looked the
same.  UNLESS the text wrap in vim got me.  It wrapped just like it
looks above.  I tried using  / at the end of the line, but it didn't
work.  There's  no  wrap when I  "cat" prefs.js, but there is with user.js.

Anyway, it works.  Thanks to Dan Nicholson and Randy McMurchy for
suggestions and help.  Thanks to DJ Lucas for the /usr/bin/thunderbird
script.

Dan