OpenSSH server not working - connection closed

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 17:37:49 PDT 2005

>  If you are able to, you could try rebuilding a kernel without IPv6 to
> see if it helps.  Alternatively, other people in this situation might

I did indeed recompile the kernel without IPv6, but I keep getting the
same errors.  I'm pretty stumped.  However, I stopped getting the

Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.

error, so that's nice.  It seems that that problem is caused when both
v4 and v6 try to jump on the same port at the same address.

So now I'm more certain that the authentication is not set up correctly
because it immediately crashes when it gets to keyboard-interactive.  I
had PAM installed before but removed it.  Could this be an issue?  I had
used a package manager when installing, so I think I got rid of
everything it had installed.  I also went back through the beginning of
the book to make sure shadow was set up correctly.

If anyone has any other ideas why the server crashes at the
keyboard-interactive step, I'd like to hear them.

 > Have you tried to use pub-key for authentiction ?

I might set up pub-key authentication to try to get it working, but I'd
rather find a solution for this problem.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Dan