No sound

Jeremy Byron rjjbyron at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 16 19:27:04 PDT 2005

randhir phagura wrote:
><snip>
> 'lspci' shows the driver as:ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1
> 'alsamixer' shows the card as: Card: ESS ES1938 (Solo-1) Chip: ESS Solo-1
> 'alsa plugin' configure shows: default 'default PCM device'.

Maybe try entering 'hw:0,0' (without the quotes) into xmms's 'Audio
device' field; beyond that, I dunno.

> Actually, the problem seems with kernel configuration:
> sound-> alsa->'PCI devices' shows all the ESS cards in one line as below:
> <*> ESS ES1938/1946/1969 (Solo-1). The kernel has selected the first
> listed, it seems. Or the same driver fits all?
> How does one select the correct card (ES1969), here, in the config?
 ><snip>

It's a single driver that works for each device mentioned, though I'm
not familiar with yours so I can't be of much help.  Google should be of
some assistance though, or perhaps someone else on the list will have
more experience in debugging an audio setup.

Regards,
Jeremy.