Xorg fails to compile for x86_64

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 17 14:26:25 PDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Doug Ronne wrote:

> I used the SVN lfs-cross multilib book to build my LFS.  It boots
> fine, though I had to use a different distro's grub to get it to boot.
>  Emacs works, all the tools seem to work.  But when I try to compile
> xorg it fails, and when I look at the log it failed when running
> mkfontscale (export/bin/mkfontscale in the xcbuild directory -
> actually a link to programs/mkfontscale/mkfontscale).  Sure enough,
> when I run this program it segfaults.  Has anyone build Xorg on an
> athlon64?

 Sure.  First time, I was running a bastardized version of Ryan's
scripts using /lib64 (had to make some symlinks from lib to run startx).
Did you use --libdir=/usr/lib64 for png, freetype, and fontconfig ?
I had no problems with mkfontscale, but I've put comments on quite a few
packages after that into the archives of this lift.  That's why I
decided I prefer pure64.

 OTOH, ppc has always given me segfaults with mkfontscale - the versions
in BLFS-6.1 work fine, the versions from a month or two ago didn't.
So, you might want to try version upgrades of the font stuff.  But it's
probably down to the correct incantations for X, specifically

#define LibDirName lib64
#define LibDir /usr/X11R6/lib64/X11

Ken