Xorg fails to compile for x86_64

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 18 04:13:20 PDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Doug Ronne wrote:

> On 8/17/05, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > Did you use --libdir=/usr/lib64 for png, freetype, and fontconfig ?
> Yes I did, and verified that they were all in the correct spot and
> used readelf to make sure they were all compiled for the correct arch.
>  After going through just the basic cross-lfs multi-lib I see why you
> prefer pure 64.  I wanted the multilib primarily so that I could use a
> few mozilla plugins that I've never found for 64 bits (at least
> working) even on SuSe 64 and Ubuntu 64.  But I may give that up in
> favor of a pure 64 environment just for sanity.

 I still fancy putting 32-bit in lib32, and probably some hand-waving,
to use binary plugins, but I don't have time to go there at the moment.

> >  OTOH, ppc has always given me segfaults with mkfontscale - the versions
> > in BLFS-6.1 work fine, the versions from a month or two ago didn't.
>
> mkfontscale seems entirely encased in X.org.  Does it use any of the
> font libraries?  I noticed it linked with a couple of libraries in the
> xcbuild directory.

 Mkfontscale has a history with me - bombed out there with X.org on my
AmigaOne some time last year, failed to build on my ibook earlier this
year, google found a few pointers to different CFLAGS in freetype (an
aliasing bug), but the old version declined to compile like that.

> > So, you might want to try version upgrades of the font stuff.  But it's
> > probably down to the correct incantations for X, specifically
> >
> > #define LibDirName lib64
> > #define LibDir /usr/X11R6/lib64/X11
>
> I had these exactly in my host.def.  I'll give different font
> libraries a try.  But I may rebuild pure 64 first just because I can
> see I'm going to hate dealing with all these libraries having to be
> built twice with different flags.

 Actually, the hardest part is identifying in advance which libraries
you will need as 32-bit : *only* things needed by your 32-bit apps need
to be built twice.  I am interested in realplayer as a plugin, it needs
gtk2/pango/atk - working back, I believe that means installing X twice
in a lib/lib64 build, just to get the libraries.

Ken