Domain name support

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 19:20:10 PDT 2005

Having found that the SSH server problem I was having has been solved,
I'd like to address the root issue.  I ended up turning off DNS to get
sshd to work, but that's not really what I want.  So the question is,
what do I have to do to have my domain name extracted on my machine?

When I log in at the linux console, I have /etc/issue set up to echo the
domain name, and it comes back as (none).  But in /etc/hosts, I have my
ip address aliased to my domain name (which is qualified at dyndns.org).
  How do I set up the system so that it recognizes my domain name?  Do I
have to run a DNS server (BIND)?  On my host, FC3, the domain name is
recognized, but I don't know what services are run to extract it.

Anyway, any pointers on DNS would be appreciated.  This is an area that
I know very little about.

Thanks,
Dan