problems mounting samba on lfs-machine

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Fri Aug 19 07:02:52 PDT 2005

Greetings,

I am relatively inactive on this list.  I am trying to mount samba on an
lfs-based machine.  I am experiencing difficulties.  The machine has lfs
(kernel2.6.11.5 installed.  There is kernel support for  smbfs.   The machine
does not have samba installed nor smbclient.  (This is because it is intended
as a gageway machine) and the present exercise in mounting samba from an
external server is  for  network-setup verification.

The  external  samba server mentioned has two shares;  a public share that
requires no password and  a normal share that requires authentication.  I am
experiencing difficulty mounting either.  I have tried various options after
the -o tag.   Examples of my efforts are below under details.  Help would be
appreciated.

Yours sincerely
lux-integ

======= details========================

root at tuber:~#
root at tuber:~# #efforts to mount a public share that requires no password
root at tuber:~# mount -t smbfs //172.16.4.50/public  /mnt/samba
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //172.16.4.50/public,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

root at tuber:~# mount -t smbfs //172.16.4.50/public -o cp437 /mnt/samba
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //172.16.4.50/public,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

root at tuber:~#
root at tuber:~# #efforts to mount a private share that requires a password
root at tuber:~# mount -t smbfs //172.16.4.50/meatcliff  /mnt/samba -o
cp437,username=meatcliff%testeR
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //172.16.4.50/meatcliff,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

root at tuber:~# mount -t smbfs //172.16.4.50/meatcliff  /mnt/samba -o
cp437,username=meatcliff%eateR