problems mounting samba on lfs-machine

Tor Olav Stava tostava at tiscali.no
Fri Aug 19 12:19:06 PDT 2005

>I am relatively inactive on this list.  I am trying to mount samba on an
>lfs-based machine.  I am experiencing difficulties.  The machine has lfs
>(kernel2.6.11.5 installed.  There is kernel support for  smbfs.   The machine
>does not have samba installed nor smbclient.  (This is because it is intended
>as a gageway machine) and the present exercise in mounting samba from an
>external server is  for  network-setup verification.

You'll gonna need some tools from the Samba package. Probably only need
smbmount and smbumount for mounting smbfs shares. Just follow the
instructions in the BLFS book, except the make install instruction. copy
the needed tools to /usr/bin or wherever you'd like them ;) note that
mount.smbfs is a symbolic link to smbmount.
I've also experienced some difficulties mounting shares from WinXP
machines using mount.smbfs. Had to compile mount.cifs manually for that
one. the source is located in the clients subfolder of the samba source,
if my memory is correct.. Just used the simple "gcc -o mount.cifs
mount.cifs.c" command in the clients subfolder, and copied the resulting
binary to /sbin.

>root at tuber:~#
>root at tuber:~# #efforts to mount a public share that requires no password
>root at tuber:~# mount -t smbfs //172.16.4.50/public  /mnt/samba
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //172.16.4.50/public,
>       missing codepage or other error
>       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>       dmesg | tail  or so

Guess that command should work if the mount can find mount.smbfs. If it
doesn't, you can try the following:

mount -t smbfs //172.16.4.50/public /mnt/samba -o user=default,pass=default
or even:
mount -t cifs //172.16.4.50/public /mnt/samba -o user=default,pass=default
(which, of course, requires you to have compiled the mount.cifs binary
and placed it in the path somewhere :)

>root at tuber:~#
>root at tuber:~# #efforts to mount a private share that requires a password
>root at tuber:~# mount -t smbfs //172.16.4.50/meatcliff  /mnt/samba -o
>cp437,username=meatcliff%testeR
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //172.16.4.50/meatcliff,
>       missing codepage or other error
>       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>       dmesg | tail  or so

Try the same as above, just replase "default" with whatever username and
password is necessary..

Hope this helps, I can try to give more details if needed. I found some
guidelines with help from google, but have lost the links.

Sincerely
Tor Olav