No sound

Jeremy Byron rjjbyron at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 20 00:12:26 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
><snip>
> But you said the other day that you *did* get output from the
> speaker-test program. So you *do* have sound. You never answered my
> question as to what happens if you try to use the 'aplay' program to
> play a .wav file.

Yes he did..

randhir phagura wrote (Aug 15, 6:43pm):
 ><snip>
 >The 'aplay' command output:
 >
 >root at homelfs6:~# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
 >Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
 >Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono.

 >root at homelfs6:~# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
 >Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav' : Signed 16 bit
 >Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
 >(NO SOUND IS HEARD IN BOTH CASES)
 ><snip>

..though it'd be interesting to see if it still shows Mono after getting
the Master channel set to (OO) from (MO).

Randhir.. do you have some sort of hardware mute or volume slider on
your laptop that might be muting the speakers?  I have three buttons
(mute and vol up/down) on my presario 2145ca, but without jumping
through hoops they may as well not be there.  Perhaps in your case the
controls could be more closely tied to the speakers?

Can you get sound through a headset plugged into your laptop? (You'll
have to make sure that channel is unmuted in alsamixer too.)

Jeremy.