Tex cannot find latex.fmt

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 22:32:52 PDT 2005

Tex installed per BLFS 6.1, with all the Optional stuff, using the
package user hint.  i am trying to compile a latex file, and I get the
following:

lennon at drake:~$ latex itc242_assignment1
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
fmtutil: format `latex' not available.
I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

I get the same with a bare-bones latex file that I downloaded.
I notice the following in install.err:

texconfig: file config.ps not found
texconfig: modifying permissions in `/var/tmp/texfonts' ...
texconfig: all permissions set.
tcfmgr: file `mktex.cnf' not found.
texconfig: fmgrConfigReplace co failed for `mktex.cnf'

Following a Google for 'latex.fmt', I found
http://www-mobile.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bjc97r/tips/latex-install.html , and
decided to try following their instructions for regenerating latex.fmt
. However, I have no file 'latex.ltx' anywhere, and no program
'inittex'.
What could cause  all of these things to be missing?

--
Lennon Victor Cook