Tex cannot find latex.fmt

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 04:46:22 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
 >I just don't know what the 'package user' hint does,
It installs packages as a non-root user as a means of package
management. Basically, if each package is installed as a different
user, the ownership of a given file shows what package installed it.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt

Generally, it causes problems when a given package's make file assumes
'make install' will be run as root. And then there's XOrg, which I
discovered a while ago assumes *everything* to compile it will be done
as root...

>The files you
> seem to be missing should be located as follows:
>
> rml at rmlinux: ~/build > find /usr/share -name latex.fmt
> /usr/share/texmf-var/web2c/latex.fmt
>
> rml at rmlinux: ~/build > find /usr/share -name latex.ltx
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/latex.ltx
Thanks for this. :)

I find it interesting, though, that they don't appear in the source
directory at all (after it is compiled), and they don't seem to be
mentioned anywhere in make install's output.

Is there anywhere I can download these files from, to drop in to the
right places?

--
Lennon Victor Cook