Tex cannot find latex.fmt

Steffen R. Knollmann sknolli at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Sun Aug 21 08:31:47 PDT 2005

Ree,

> >The files you
> > seem to be missing should be located as follows:
> >
> > rml at rmlinux: ~/build > find /usr/share -name latex.fmt
> > /usr/share/texmf-var/web2c/latex.fmt
> >
> > rml at rmlinux: ~/build > find /usr/share -name latex.ltx
> > /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/latex.ltx

  Lennon, can you check if
    kpsewhich latex.ltx
procudes any output? For me it does this:
    [steffen at jane ~]$ kpsewhich latex.ltx
    /opt/tetex/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/latex.ltx
(Note, that I use /opt/tetex as the prefix for installing teTeX, but
that doesn't matter).
And while you're on it, please try to run
    texconfig conf
and tell me the result.

> I find it interesting, though, that they don't appear in the source
> directory at all (after it is compiled), and they don't seem to be
> mentioned anywhere in make install's output.

  Randy correctly noted that latex.fmt is produced by TeX. But
latex.ltx is part of the tetex-texmf-3.0.tar.gz tarball and if you miss
that file you probably forgot to unpack that file :-)

  ATM I am a bit confused, as the BLFS description states
    gzip -dc ../tetex-texmf-3.0.tar.gz \
       | (umask 0; cd /usr/share/texmf; tar -xf -)
and my build notes say
    MYTEXPREFIX=/opt/tetex
    gzip -dc tetex-texmf-3.0.tar.gz \
       | (umask 0; cd $MYTEXPREFIX/share/texmf-dist; tar xvf -)
According to the TeTeX-install notes
(http://www.tug.org/tetex/tetex-src/INSTALL), it should be texmf-dist
instead of texmf, but as it seems to work for Randy with texmf, it
should also work for you.

  As a side-note: TeTeX works perfectly fine if not installed by root. I
installed it as a normal user to be able to use a recent
TeX-distribution and the one provided by SuSE (some time ago, SuSE is
up-to-date by now). Also I am pretty sure that I also installed it using
the package-user hint (great piece of work that hint, IMO).

  Additional note: Systemwide configurations of TeTeX only work if you
use 'texconfig-sys' instead of 'texconfig', the latter works on a
per-user basis.

  To me it seems, that something went wrong with unpacking the
texmf-src.

  Cheers,
    Steffen

--
That's the problem with science.  You've got a bunch of empiricists
trying to describe things of unimaginable wonder.   -- Calvin