Tex cannot find latex.fmt

Steffen R. Knollmann sknolli at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Sun Aug 21 08:37:08 PDT 2005

Hello!

> > Generally, it causes problems when a given package's make file assumes
> > 'make install' will be run as root. And then there's XOrg, which I
> > discovered a while ago assumes *everything* to compile it will be done
> > as root...
>
> Hmmm. I haven't noticed this. I compile everything (up to and
> including 'make World') as an unprivileged user and only do the
> 'make install' and configuration stuff as root.

  XOrg is somewhat bitching around if 'make install' is not performed by
root (SETUID bits and stuff like that). I managed to get it working
using the package-user scheme, but I am afraid, I don't have to notes on
how I did that anymore. Compiling works as any user.

> > Is there anywhere I can download these files from, to drop in to the
> > right places?
>
> I doubt it. These files are created by the TeX installation
> process as best as I recall. It looks as though Steffen is
> becoming involved in this thread, so you're in luck. If anyone
> can help you, it would be him. :-)

  You recall correctly (see the other mail). Thanks for the compliment
Randy :-) I'll do my best.

  Cheers,
    Steffen

--
If you want to stay dad you've got to polish your image. I think the
image we need to create for you is "repentant but learning".  -- Calvin