'Compiler cannot create executables'

Cliff McDiarmid cliffhanger at gardener.com
Sun Aug 21 12:59:18 PDT 2005

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:

>   Wow, that's quite a mixture of places on your PATH, Cliff.
> My first guess is that you've perhaps got multiple versions of one
> or more or gcc and binutils, and setting the PATH like this is
> mixing them up?

No, I've only got one version of each and the odd thing is that the gcc was working one minute and not the next.
I was trying to clean the system by deleting unwanted programs and this is why I feel i might have deleted an important component of gcc.  Is this possible?

>   What is /usr/local/include/beecrypt (it seems an odd thing to
> find included in a compiler test) ?  The --eh-frame-hdr isn't
> exactly new, and it ought to have been recognized in an LFS-5+
> build.  The amount of stuff in $PATH suggests you've got a pretty
> comprehensive desktop build, much of which (e.g. QT, kde) is in
> c++.  So, either this version of rpm only builds on RedHat systems,
> or the compiler and binutils versions are fighting with each other.

The 'beecrypt thing' is for rpm-4.3.1, but this failure of gcc is occuring on any software build, i.e. I'm getting the same message whatever package I try to build.

 >   When you said LFS-5.1, maybe you meant LFS-5.0 (gcc-3.3.1 instead
> of gcc-3.3.3)?  Which versions of gcc and binutils are on your
> system, and which directories are they in ?

Yes it was LFS 5.0.   I have gcc-3.3.1(/usr/bin) and binutils-2.14(usr/bin).  But I have made upgrades.

thanks

MAC