'Compiler cannot create executables'

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 21 13:25:21 PDT 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:

>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
>>   Wow, that's quite a mixture of places on your PATH, Cliff.
>> My first guess is that you've perhaps got multiple versions of one
>> or more or gcc and binutils, and setting the PATH like this is
>> mixing them up?
>
> No, I've only got one version of each and the odd thing is that the
> gcc was working one minute and not the next. I was trying to clean the
> system by deleting unwanted programs and this is why I feel i might
> have deleted an important component of gcc.  Is this possible?

  Definitely.  The gcc programs in /usr/bin are obviously still there,
how about the contents of /usr/lib/gcc ?

  Do you have backups in a form where you can see what used to be in /usr
?  If you don't, this is all rather academic.  If you do, compare
/usr/bin, /usr/lib and its subdirectories, /usr/sbin, and /usr/libexec
if there was one.

Ken