Package user installation of Xorg, (was: Tex cannot find latex.fmt)

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Mon Aug 22 13:12:57 PDT 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 19:26, dennis wrote:
>         One additional problem: unprivileged users were unable to run
> startx, because the log file couldn't be created. Following Andrew
> Benton's advice on the blfs-support mailing list, I changed ownership
> and permission for /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg:
> # chown root:root /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg

I'm interested because my latest build is using the hint.  However, would it
not be sufficient to change the owner (not the group) of Xorg?
--
Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days of the
former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich and largely tax free.

Mighty starships plied their way between exotic suns, seeking adventure and
reward among the furthest reaches of Galactic space.  In those days, spirits
were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women
and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures
from Alpha Centauri.  And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty
deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before -- and thus
was the Empire forged.
-- Douglas Adams, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_