A question about login shells

Kevin Somervill ksomervi at brokenlogo.com
Mon Aug 22 17:29:01 PDT 2005

Hello,
So I followed the BLFS 6.0 procedure and I have an unexpected
environment "detail".  When I login via a VT, I get the usual shell with
a prompt like

wizard:~
[ksomervi] $

per the setting of PS1 as expected. However, when I startx or login
through xdm to twm or xfce, any terminal window launched shows a prompt like

bash-3.00$

which isn't what I expected.  Poking around, it's clear that the profile
  scripts are not being sourced, that is, I don't get an interactive
login shell like I would expect.  To work around this, I set
'XTerm*loginShell:  True' in my .Xdefaults file, but I'm wondering if
I've goofed something up along the way.

Any suggestions or explanations for this behavior?

Thanks,
./ks