(SVN.20050822) DHCPcd - Address family not supported?

David Ciecierski davidcie at klub.chip.pl
Tue Aug 23 16:38:55 PDT 2005

Hello,
I've just smoothly finished my LFS (running tests for every package to
be sure no errors creep in) and started adding critical packages from
BLFS - like net-tools and dhcpcd. It compiled & installed fine (feel I
need to mention I'm using user package management). But after I added
apropriate BLFS bootscript and rebooted, starting dhcpcd fails (same
when done manually).

I can assign ip manually using ifconfig, and then the thing works just
fine (like pinging my server).

[Config]
ONBOOT="yes"
SERVICE="dhcpcd"
DHCP_START="-d"
DHCP_STOP="-k"

[Error message]
Aug 24 02:06:42 girls kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0b.0[A] ->
Link [LNKC] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10
Aug 24 02:06:42 girls dhcpcd[1297]: dhcpStart: socket: Address family
not supported by protocol

That's it I'm afraid... I included the ACPI message because initially I
thought it might be related (appears everytime I bring up the interface)
but since manual IP assignment works...

I will be grateful for any and all suggestions - thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
David Ciecierski