Weird test-results from gcc-3.4.4

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Wed Aug 24 07:43:41 PDT 2005

> Can I build and install in /usr/local and then just move them
> all to /usr? Or is the path hardcoded in the binaries?

You can probably build all in /usr/local and _leave_ it in /usr/local

I ran a system with gcc-2.95-3 in /usr and gcc-3.3.1 in /usr/local. I
pointed the three variables ($CC $CXX $CPP) at the /usr/local version
and everything worked fine. If I wanted to use gcc-2.95, I could just
unset those and it would find /usr first in the path

The binaries seem to know where their libraries are - otherwise my
compiles would have barfed over compiling  with the wrong gcc libs. So I
would not move compiled stuff to a different tree.

I also upgraded the cpu without reinstalling (k6/2 -->Athlon). So I
build on an i686 system but my compiler knew to use the libs at
/somewhere/i586-pc-linux-gnu

In short, I've made nearly every conceivable attempt to bugger it, but
they just seem to work :-)).

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.