upgrading glibc?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 24 13:04:59 PDT 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Douglas J Hunley wrote:

> OK, so how does one upgrade an LFS system? Is it as 'simple' as
> creating /lfs on the system, doing the build chrooted there, and then
> going to single user mode and moving everything from /lfs/* to / ?

  Same as with any other host, i.e. use a spare partition.  For many
people, the spare partition will be the one which held the host from
which they built lfs the first time.  From a host running a 2.4 kernel,
also upgrade to a 2.6 kernel before you start the build (for preference
compile everything in, otherwise you'll have to build module-init-tools
with the compatability step).

  I sense that you don't have a spare partition.  In times past I've done
a "side-by-side" install, but it can get very messy and increases the
risk of screwing everything.  If you can do a bare-metal recovery,
repartitioning might be in order.

Ken