Firefox and profile locking: Chapter 2

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:04:50 PDT 2005

On 8/24/05, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> I now remember reading this message, but completely overlooked its
> importance. I will attempt this right now. Building and installing
> using the current books's method, and then modify the run-mozilla.sh
> script.

Oops, not run-mozilla.sh.  Actually, the firefox script.  Like I said,
I have a very simple fix for the source where the same line is
inserted into something like firefox.in (I'm at work and they lock
down outside access pretty hard).

> > One last thing, what is the danger of using
> > --prefix=/opt/firefox-$VERSION instead of using the installer method?
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question. The installer method does
> use --prefix=/whatever on the configure line.

Using archaic's method, you are actually using a separate mozilla
script that creates a directory just like the binary you would
download from mozilla.org. i.e., no bin directory, everything in the
root dir, etc.  It seems to me that you could also just pass the
configure option --prefix=/opt/firefox-1.0.6 and make install.  This
would have the same standard directory layout:
/opt/firefox-1.0.6/{bin,include,lib,...}.  Then the bootscripts would
find /opt/firefox-1.0.6/bin and add it to your path.

Actually, just writing that kicked in the obnoxious fact that if you
kept multiple firefox versions around, you're path would be bloated,
and there would be multiple firefox's in the path.  So I guess this
isn't such a good idea.

Dan