ndiswrapper and bootscripts

Larry larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 24 13:07:31 PDT 2005

I have been winding my way through the bootscripts and ran into this
situation.

Trying to load the ndiswrapper module using the modules script and it
kept failing, but digging into loadndisdriver source file found that it
creates a /dev file which then gets clobbered by the udev script.

The obvious solution is to not use the modules file and load it in it's
own script.  The code even mentions that they chose /dev over /tmp since
some distributions won't allow device nodes in the /tmp directory.

I don't see any negatives to using the /tmp directory, buy my question
is whether modules is in the correct "place" before udev.  I can think
of several modules that use devices, although I am very unclear as to
when udev builds devices.

So, is this the only module that is affected? Should LFS note that fact
in modules header?

Larry