upgrading glibc?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Aug 25 03:49:32 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:42 -0400, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> Declan Moriarty stated:
> > Why not upgrade? With alfs, the lfs section of the build can be fairly
> > painless.
>
> OK, so how does one upgrade an LFS system? Is it as 'simple' as creating /lfs
> on the system, doing the build chrooted there, and then going to single user
> mode and moving everything from /lfs/* to / ?

I've got plenty of disk on my current system, so I just have a couple of
partitions - one for stable use, and another for trying new stuff on. If
you've got the space to do that, it's the easiest option, since you're
just following the original instructions.

Alternatively, creating/obtaining a bootable CD is a good option if
creating extra partitions isn't an option. Boot from CD, and use that to
rebuild LFS - put the packages and book on the CD if you can, otherwise
leave them somewhere on the harddisk and make sure not to format the
partition they're on.

Having a boot CD with the packages on is always a good thing to have,
since it aids recovery if the disk fails. I need to update mine, for
that matter - it's probably got LFS 5 on it still...

Simon.