Allowing ftp and email, but not shell access

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Thu Aug 25 06:38:50 PDT 2005

On 8/25/2005 07:31, Simon Geard wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 01:56 -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
>> Is it possible to create the users as regular system users, and supply
>> /bin/false as the shell?  It's just a guess.  I don't know yet whether
>> scp will work in that setup or not, but I don't see why not.
>
> Doesn't seem to work. I just had a go using a test user on my machine,
> but can't access their home directory either through ssh, sftp, or
> nautilus/gnome-vfs - I just get "Connection closed".

Can you try ftp and email (i assume you actually mean imap or pop access?)
just to be sure that it's not a ssh problem you're experiencing?

Using /bin/false in this manner has been working for me for quite a long
time for pop and imap users around here (except when they need to use
vacation and then there's smrsh).

~Jason