Installing apache and PHP in /opt

randhir phagura rsphagura at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 18:25:02 PDT 2005

Hi,

This is for newbees like me. It may be useful for some.

Installing programms such as apache and PHP in a separate directory than
'/usr' has certain advantages for upgrading later. Took the cue from 'qt'
installation in the book.

I have installed apache-2.0.54 & PHP-5.0.4 in '/opt/apache' and '/opt/php'
for similar reason. It needs slightly diffrent treatment, which I jot down
below for anyone wishing to do the same:

1. Firstly, 'apache-2.0.54' install:

For PHP, apache is required. It has a given patch for FHS install. This
patch enforces apache install in '/usr' and the rest accordingly. The first
line of <Layout FHS> section of the patch is :
'+    Prefix:      /usr'. Edit this to your need such as substitute
'/opt/apache' in place of '/usr'. This can probably be done with a suitable
'sed' command. But I am not familiar with 'sed' yet. The remaining two
sections <Layout apr> etc may be commented out.
Also, include the option '--enable-so'. PHP complains if not done.
Almost everyone installs 'expat' for some reason or the other. Do not,
therefore, ignore the warning in the Book. Include the option
'--with-expat=/usr' in configure, if you have expat. If you ignore this,
there may be trouble opening various icons from your desktop. If that does
happen, re-install 'expat'. Modify the other commands in the book suitably
for your install such as changing '/usr' to '/opt/apache' whereever it
occures

2. PHP install:

PHP install is as in the Book except that change your 'prefix' as required.
PHP has a problem finding 'apxs' from apache install. Give full path to this
such as (in my case) '--with-apxs2=/opt/apache/sbin/apxs'. Read './configure
--help' for an explanation.

Also, other applications may be looking for 'apxs' later. Install a link in
'/opt/apache/bin/apxs' to /opt/apache/sbin/apxs'.

All the best and Regards,

Randhir Phagura