Anyone can explain DVD writing to me ?

Nicolas FRANCOIS nicolas.francois at free.fr
Mon Aug 29 11:12:49 PDT 2005

Le Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:28:52 +0100 Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie> a
écrit :

> Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
> > Hi my dear LFS users friends.
> >
> > What are the stages to enable a ND-3500AG NEC DVD writer ?
> >
> > \bye
> >

> Stage 1:  READ!

Ah... yes, thank you for the advice. I've been reading for about a week
now, searching intensively the net, books, magazines...

Maybe I could restate my question : do you now ANY link putting all this
ogether ?

To complete my question, because I can see you quite dislike those lazy
short messages :

1) devices : when you compile ide-scsi module on a brand new 2.6 kernel,
you are beeing mocked at because this is old fashion, ide-cd being much
more "modern". But when you read the cdrecord, dvd+rx+tools and other
help pages, it is said that this is not so good, especially from the
performances point of view. And there is the udev settings problem, of
course... See what I mean ?

2) I tried Xcdroast, but it needs a special (and non free) cdrecord
version to burn DVDs... no good.

3) I tried K3b... and was stuck by foolish things like k3bsetup not
finding "su" in my path. I ran it from root, but was unable to get a real
burning operation. Everything works fine unitl it tries to burn, and then
there is a seeking error... (all this in ide-scsi mode).

4) I tried to compile the gnome dvd-burning project, but got bored by all
the dependencies :-(

5) Of course, I started with some console tries, but this got me nowhere :

root at detritus:/# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z \
  /dev/sg1=/mnt/tempo/debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/mnt/tempo/debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso
of=/dev/sg1 obs=32k seek=0' :-(
write failed: Illegal seek
root at detritus:/# grrrrr
bash: grrrrr: command not found

> Then you can fill in the remaining stages yourself. Grep the blfs book
>
> grep -ir dvd *

Yes, I did something like this. I'm not COMPLETLY stupid, you know
(QUITE, but not COMPLETLY) ;-)

> www.google.ie/linux & search term dvd writing

Well, this is the good news from your message : I didn't know this special
section from Google. So your insults were justified, after all :-) I saw a
few more links that I will consult, and then I'll annoy you a little more,
I guess ;-)

Thanks anyway.

\bye

--