Anyone can explain DVD writing to me ?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 29 10:31:24 PDT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:

> To complete my question, because I can see you quite dislike those lazy
> short messages :
>
> 1) devices : when you compile ide-scsi module on a brand new 2.6 kernel,
> you are beeing mocked at because this is old fashion, ide-cd being much
> more "modern". But when you read the cdrecord, dvd+rx+tools and other
> help pages, it is said that this is not so good, especially from the
> performances point of view. And there is the udev settings problem, of
> course... See what I mean ?

  For 2.6 kernels, there are still arguments about error-handling in
cd-*reading*, but for normal use just write to /dev/hdc (or whichever)
with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y in the kernel config.  You may wish to take
Schilly's views on linux with a grain of salt.  The dvd+rw-tools pages
are rather old now, so comments on the kernel in them may be out of
date.

> 2) I tried Xcdroast, but it needs a special (and non free) cdrecord
> version to burn DVDs... no good.

  I was a long-time user of xcdroast, but even I've given it up now -
old, apparently unmaintained, tied to an exact version of cdrecord, not
appropriate for 2.6 kernels.  But the only DVDs I write are data.

Ken