Anyone can explain DVD writing to me ?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Aug 30 04:30:47 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 20:12 +0200, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> To complete my question, because I can see you quite dislike those lazy
> short messages :

Problem, a simple question like "how do I get $TOPIC to work" can only
ever be usefully answered by pointing someone at the docs. Whereas if
you tell us what you've already tried, we can be a bit more helpful. And
we *do* try our best to be helpful, if given enough information to do
so.

For what it's worth, I don't have any experience of DVD burning, but
ide-scsi isn't required for burning CDs. Most of those docs seem to have
been written back when a Pentium was a high-spec machine, and I suspect
a lot of the issues they talks about aren't really relevant on modern
hardware - it's been a few years since burning a CD was something that
tied up a machine for half an hour.

You might try looking at coaster / libburn, which I gather is a
potential replacement for the cdrecord family. I think it's in a
somewhat raw state still (I've never used it) but might be worth looking
at.

Simon.