Anyone can explain DVD writing to me ?

Nicolas FRANCOIS nicolas.francois at free.fr
Tue Aug 30 10:48:18 PDT 2005

Le Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:25:46 +0100 Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie> a
écrit :

> > To complete my question, because I can see you quite dislike those
> > lazy short messages :
> >
> > 1) devices : when you compile ide-scsi module on a brand new 2.6
> > kernel, you are beeing mocked at because this is old fashion, ide-cd
> > being much more "modern". But when you read the cdrecord, dvd+rx+tools
> > and other help pages, it is said that this is not so good, especially
> > from the performances point of view. And there is the udev settings
> > problem, of course... See what I mean ?
> The biggest hitch with ide-scsi is /etc/fstab, IIRC. You have to select
> it as ide-scsi, enable writing, and have udf(?), ide-scsi, generic scsi,
> and probably more available to the kernel.

Never mind, I was able to make things work with /dev/hdd. BTW, ide-scsi
seems buggy here, I had two crashes using it !

> > 3) I tried K3b... and was stuck by foolish things like k3bsetup not
> > finding "su" in my path. I ran it from root, but was unable to get a
> > real burning operation. Everything works fine unitl it tries to burn,
> > and then there is a seeking error... (all this in ide-scsi mode).
>
> This you can probably fix. A lot of things reduce the path to
> "/bin:/usr/bin;" I have also seen "/usr/bin:/usr/sbin;"No doubt it's a
> security ploy but actually ends up being a pain in certain
> circumstances. Try this
>
> grep PATH /etc/* |less
> grep PATH ~/* <as your cdwriting user>
> grep PATH ~/.*
>
> BTW, I have 'su' in /bin. Where is yours?

Same place. My Linux dist is a pure LFS ;-)

> You will probably need the 'less' bit. I would advise against using the
> -r option on grep for /etc!
>
> You are nearly there with this one. Turn up debugging and check your
> logs. Another thing to beware of is that if something wants to be a
> user, and you run it as root, it may well fall back to being 'nobody'
> the most useless of lusers. Read the small print with this package.

OK, i'll try that.

> > 4) I tried to compile the gnome dvd-burning project, but got bored by
> > all the dependencies :-(
> Gnome appears to be dependancy Hell.

Sure :-P

> > 5) Of course, I started with some console tries, but this got me
> > nowhere :
>
> Doesn't mkisofs do it? One thing you can do, btw, is make up your iso as
> a block file and then mount it to check it.

I did this. Now it works, don't ask me why.

> > > Then you can fill in the remaining stages yourself. Grep the blfs
> > > book
> > >
> > > grep -ir dvd *
> >
> > Yes, I did something like this. I'm not COMPLETLY stupid, you know
> > (QUITE, but not COMPLETLY) ;-)
>

> Thank you for restoring our confidence in your hard work and diligence.

 ;-)

> > > www.google.ie/linux & search term dvd writing
> >
> > Well, this is the good news from your message : I didn't know this
> > special section from Google. So your insults were justified, after all
> > :-) I saw a few more links that I will consult, and then I'll annoy
> > you a little more, I guess ;-)
> >
> I haven't sorted this myself, you know. I mean to buy a cd or dvd writer
> but it just never happened. The last one was robbed and returned
> _with_5V_applied_ blowing it and a Southbridge :-O. Kids....grrr.

Nobody touches my computer at home, because nobody is aware of Unix except
me (in my good days) ;-) Sure way to keep your hardware safe.

\bye, and thanks again.

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS
http://nicolas.francois.free.fr