user package hint & gnome-panel

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 31 12:22:49 PDT 2005

David Fix wrote these words on 08/31/05 14:12 CST:

> Just kidding.  :P  I actually have no idea, I'm just hoping to at least put
> a smile onto your face.  I've thought of doing some kind of package
> management myself, but seeing stuff like this always makes me cringe...
> Anyone else have any smart ideas or experience?

I use package management via little scriptlets I put into my build
scripts. Putting it simply, it takes a picture of the filesystem
before and after the installation of a package, then compares those
pictures for differences. The differences are what is installed by
the package.

Works well, however, it won't include files that are installed by
a package that overwrite an existing file. But that is a pretty
rare occurrence.

--
Randy

14:18:01 up 151 days, 13:51, 3 users, load average: 1.17, 1.07, 0.75