user package hint & gnome-panel

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:06:06 PDT 2005

On 8/31/05, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/05, Tushar Teredesai <sukucorp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Basically I found that the DESTDIR approach was the best solution for
> > creating a package before it was installed on the final system.
>
> I was wondering about that when I was considering package management.
> Do all packages respect the DESTDIR variable?  Are there any other
> issues with this technique?

Most of the pacakges do, though they use various envar names (DESTDIR,
INSTALL_ROOT, etc.). For most of the non-compliant packages, a make
prefix=$TMP_ROOT/usr is sufficient. The rest of them need some special
handling. One of these days I am planning to put my document my
scripts so that folks can view them.

Another issue: For some pacakges the installation needs an additional
phase, the post-installation phase. The post-installation phase is
where you would need to perform operations that affect shared files
(e.g. scrollkeeper, fontconfig, info catalog, ...), add users, etc.
But I actually like it since it gives you a clear idea on what shared
files are being updated and why.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org