Udev-062: A lucky number! Script errors?

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Wed Jul 13 02:52:14 PDT 2005

> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 12:41 +0100, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/udev was crapping out quite early and noiselessly
> > in the script.
>
> I have yet to build LFS (this is my third) without needing to spend
> time debugging init script problems.  I end up filling the scripts
> with lines like "Here I am about to load /proc" followed by "read -t
> 60" (so it will pause long enough for me to read the message, but not
> hang if I forget to remove it later).  Since /var may not be loaded
> yet, I can't count on a boot log to record the events so I need to be
> able to watch diagnostic messages on the screen as they occur.

What you have to know is that I have some of the buggiest hardware about
these days.

Mind you, it's rarely that the BLFS bootscripts cause trouble - I think
I found one typo in three builds. It's the 'installed in' scripts
(hotplug and udev in my case), i.e. where the package installs an init
script full of cavalier comments and bodges.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.