Firefox and profile locking: Chapter 2

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 06:28:23 PDT 2005

Ken Moffat wrote:
>  Can I just reawaken this thread to report success with what was
> basically Andrew's build script

I'd rather you didn't. I was embarrassed because I didn't test it properly before I sent it. It worked with an existing profile but if I deleted my profile and did it completely from scratch it didn't work. I think the problem was that with Firefox installed in /usr/lib and owned by root a user doesn't have permissions to read the files needed to create a new profile. I could be wrong though.

> without a separate build directory, was unable to build svg just like
> all firefox releases) ?

SVG has only been added to the mozilla code recently, the cairo stuff isn't in the aviary branch. I think the plan is for Firefox 1.1 to be SVG enabled. Firefox-1.1 (deer park) is currently at alpha 2 http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/deerpark/alpha2/source/