problem with netfs and samba share

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jul 17 03:40:54 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 10:31 +0200, Rob van Dam wrote:
> So I guess I have to live with this?
>
> I will complain on the LKML because this makes my system useless now and
> then. A solution is to reboot, but that's the specialty of another o.s.

It's not a problem unique to Samba - network filesystems in general
always seem to cause problems when the remote machine goes down. We've
had much the same problem with NFS on machines at work - if an NFS
server needs to go down for any reason, it's best to make sure any
client accessing it ceases to do so first. Otherwise, a reboot of the
client is probably in order.

Simon.