problem with netfs and samba share

Rob van Dam r_vandam at hotpop.com
Sun Jul 17 05:59:41 PDT 2005

Simon Geard wrote:

> It's not a problem unique to Samba - network filesystems in general
> always seem to cause problems when the remote machine goes down. We've
> had much the same problem with NFS on machines at work - if an NFS
> server needs to go down for any reason, it's best to make sure any
> client accessing it ceases to do so first. Otherwise, a reboot of the
> client is probably in order.
>
> Simon.

I spend hours now looking for a solution, and after reading your reply,
it's now clear to me that this is a shortcoming of the o.s. (as already
been said by Alexander)

Nfs has a softmount option, but i didn't find anything for that for Samba.

I think the best thing to do is to move the mount dir out of home, and
give it his own place somewhere else.

Rob